Comments on GM's Video Strategy by Gregory Markel
One of the leaders in Video Marketing gave a fabulous interview on Fox Business Channel. Gregory Markel, CEO of InfuseCreative, looked at the latest GM video about the U.S. auto industry and gave some pointed comments about what they did right and where they missed opportunities.
Here is his list of what they missed:
- Constant In-Video Branding/Call To Action Absent: Should have branded registration goal site www.gmfactsandfiction.com URL throughout entire video instead of at the end and included registration call to action within the video while suggesting a click on a live URL in the description pane.
- Description Pane Lacking Clickable URL: Should have included a clickable full http://www.gmfactsandfiction.com URL in the first line of the video description and told viewers to click on it throughout the video. This would have generated more clicks to www.gmfactsandfiction.com
- Negative Comments Work Against The Goal: 99% of the 1st page comments at YouTube are negative. This visibly counters their goal of eliciting empathy and support through education. Should have turned off, or moderated/filtered, or responded to negative comments in visible effort to dialogue with consumers
- Light Keyword Targeting: Should have included more popular and relevant keywords and phrases in the video's title, description and tags: The video is not found within the first two pages at Youtube by primary and related keywords: general motors, general motors video, general motors bailout, general motors bankruptcy, gm video, gm bailout. Took test subjects 3 attempts to find the video by keyword
- No Paid Search Support: Should have supported the YouTube and www.gmfactsandfiction.com registration effort with paid search via Google adwords & YouTube promote your video keyword targeted results for both root keywords and secondary yet related keywords like bailout, economy, economic bailout" etc. Secondary Video Engines:
- Yahoo/Myspace/MetaCafe Video Engines Missed: Not found by keywords general motors, general motors video, us auto industry ripple effect Google.com:
- Hard to Find: Not directly found on 1st page by keywords general motors, general motors video, gm video, gm bailout
- No Paid Search Support: Should have supported the YouTube and www.gmfactsandfiction.com registration effort with paid search via Google adwords keyword targeted results for both root keywords and secondary yet related keywords like bailout, gm, gm bailout, economy, economic bailout, etc. Social Bookmarking/Tagging sites:
- Digg: Not found for u.s. auto industry ripple effect