Multi-Language/Country Targeting Online
A few nuggets from SES Latino speakers:
From Huipling Iler from WinTranslation:
- the more creative the copy in English the harder it is to translate. Keep the copywriters grounded. (really excellent observation)
- Optimize multilingual content on your site
- Optimize how you reach the content (great example is Northwest airlines - the link to the non-.com sites is under a small font text on the top right of the home page that says "worldwide sites". Doesn't mean much to a person who doesn't speak much English.
- Use flags or the country name in the native language
- Excellent white paper on Maximizing Visibility for Multilingual Web Sites available from WinTranslation
- Get external links to country domains, not just .com (obvious? Very difficult for sure)
- Let user's generate some content because they will write with typos and use accents that you don't want to include in the formal content on the website (brilliant Frances)
- Asks this question: Do you market your .com site as your brand and then give your users a clear link to their language or country of choice site?
- There will be 100K search advertisers in Latin America (including Brazil) by 2010
- Search is 37% of the online marketing spend in LATAM
- Of the 184M in Brazil, 32M are online
- Of the 38M in Argentina, 10M are online